15 August 2003

Squirrel 3, Grad Student 0

A phone call to the Massachusetts Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals revealed some interesting kinks in Massachusetts wildlife law. It turns out that it is illegal to trap and re-release wildlife in MA. You can trap a squirrel and kill it, but you can't trap one and bring it to the big park at Fresh Pond. I guess it is this kind of legislative insanity that makes MA famous the world over. So, I consider this a victory for Squirrel. After all, I can't stand the twitchy-tailed critter but I am also unwilling to murder him.

The friendly MSPCA folks suggested hardware cloth to block the screens, which I wedged into place yesterday, and a home-made squirrel repellent involving onions, jalapeno peppers, garlic, and cayenne pepper, which is currently bubbling away on my stove and filling my tiny apartment with an ungodly stench. After it has cooled I'll be spraying it all over the window screens. I promise an update as soon as I have an idea of how effective these remedies will be. Perhaps I'll be able to declare Squirrel MIA and a Grad Student victory???

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home