26 July 2005

I'm Cuba!


You're Cuba!

How bad can you really be? So many people have said so many
bad things about you, but you know they can't all be true. Not even most of them.
You went a little crazy for a while, but now you're just getting older and tired
of all the nasty stuff people think about you. You could use a little more money
and you really wish people wouldn't keep leaving you for richer people, but other than
that, things aren't so bad. You really like used military clothing

Take the Country Quiz.

I spent three weeks in Cuba in the spring of 1997. It was the most eye-opening trips I have ever taken. One thing I did learn (among many others) was that Cuban people are by and large proud to be Cuban. They recognize their problems, both political and economic, and are optimistic for future changes.

The worst part of the trip was coming back and being treated like traitors by the U.S. Customs. Officers tried to take away my copy of Alice Walker's The Color Purple, which I had bought in Havana in a Spanish-language Cuban edition, with the justification that it was "subversive" material. They were not successful in getting it away from me, but the experience of attempted repression in my own occasionally self-righteous country was as instructive as my stay in Communist Cuba.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 26, 2005 4:38:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What do you know, I'm Canada!
An Admirer at K&S

 
At Wednesday, July 27, 2005 2:02:00 PM, Blogger Another Damned Medievalist said...

I couldn't decide on climate -- so I'm either Thailand or the UK. I can live with those choices!

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2005 6:37:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm the UN! (It says a lot about me that I think that's pretty cool, I suppose.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home