21 October 2005

The Sci-Fi Movie Canon

I complained below, bitterly, about Time Magazine's deficient literary canon. John Scalzi, author of the Rough Guide to Sci-Fi Movies, proposes his own canon of sci-fi movies. I've bolded the ones I've seen. I have to say, generally I'd rather read sci-fi than watch it (Joss Whedon's excellent new film Serenity being one of the exceptions). I'm an agnostic on most of his choices and I haven't seen very many of them.

Here's the list:



The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension!
Akira
Alien
Aliens
Alphaville
Back to the Future
Blade Runner
Brazil
Bride of Frankenstein
Brother From Another Planet
A Clockwork Orange
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
Contact

The Damned
Destination Moon
The Day The Earth Stood Still
Delicatessen
Escape From New York
ET: The Extraterrestrial
Flash Gordon: Space Soldiers (serial)
The Fly (1985 version)
Forbidden Planet
Ghost in the Shell
Gojira/Godzilla
The Incredibles

Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956 version)
Jurassic Park
Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior
The Matrix
Metropolis
On the Beach
Planet of the Apes (1968 version)

Robocop
Sleeper
Solaris (1972 version)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope
Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
The Stepford Wives
Superman
Terminator 2: Judgement Day

The Thing From Another World
Things to Come
Tron
12 Monkeys
28 Days Later
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea
2001: A Space Odyssey
La Voyage Dans la Lune
War of the Worlds (1953 version)

1 Comments:

At Saturday, October 22, 2005 8:15:00 AM, Blogger ALH ipinions said...

Hello Rebecca

Not sure what it says about me, but I've seen all of the movies you highlighted plus others on this list.

Unlike you, though, I prefer sci-fi in films more than in books - perhaps because of my lack of imagination.

Of course, such lists are inherently subjective (flawed); indeed, I suspect I might find your list (of sci-fi movies and novels) more palatable...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home