04 December 2005

Sunday Reads

Some things to help end your weekend:

* The ancient and medieval Carnivalesque is up at Another Damned Medievalist. I've just finished reading the collection of posts about the HBO series Rome. I've enjoyed the series but I don't know enough late Republican-early Imperial Roman history to judge its accuracy--luckily bloggers do it for me!
* New Kid on the Hallway notes that December 1st was Blog Against Racism Day. I don't know how someone like me, who is interested in issues of race historically, missed this. New Kid did a great post.
* Scott Eric Kaufman has an...unforgettable? encounter in his own office.
* Can't get Plan B at Target because the pharmacist won't fill a prescription against his religious beliefs? Vent your frustration with Plan Brat. (I am starting to feel sorry for Le Target. First a boycott based on its pharmacy policy, and now a boycott because it doesn't celebrate Christmas properly. Target just can't get please anybody.)
* At the Little Professor's, a brief essay about academic genealogies. It attracted my attention because the article she draws from is about the state of early American history as a field. I'll have more to say about this later, but for now, quickly: why is it that this discussion is happening in small, less frequently read journals than in the main early American history journal, the William and Mary Quarterly? Food for thought.

This Week's Acquisitions None. Rebecca bought no books this past week. Sigh.

3 Comments:

At Monday, December 05, 2005 2:27:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The question of why the article The Little Professor is writing about appears in a smaller journal is an interesting one, especially since from what I've seen from titles and abstracts, the Historical Society's journals run articles deserving of a wider circulation.

Unfortunately, even though I'm currently affiliated with a major university I don't have access to them in print and can only get a few older issues online. Historically Speaking recently ran a whole forum on Early America that I'd love to read, but can't (although since I'm working on the 19th century, it's not that urgent.)

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 10:57:00 AM, Blogger Rebecca said...

I can get in online. eb, email me and we'll work something out. rgoetz AT fas DOT harvard DOT edu

I'm reading it now, actually. I have lots of thoughts and hopefully I'll have time to do a post later this week.

 
At Monday, December 05, 2005 1:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, thanks! I'll be interested to see what you have to say.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home