29 January 2006

This Week's Acqusitions...

...are all of a musical variety. (In other words, instead of contributing to the rapid increase in the size of my library this week, I bought CDs.)

My order from my classical music club came in, and here's what I got:

Angela Gheorghiu, Mysterium. The Romanian soprano sings a variety of oft-performed sacred music, but the opening four pieces are all Romanian religious music I've never heard before. Lovely.

Kiri Te Kanawa, Kiri. Another famous soprano sings a variety of her favorites, from Puccini arias to Gerswhin, Bernstein, and other modern masters. Great stuff.

Moscow Liturgical Choir, Russian Easter Liturgy. I don't own much Russian choral music (off the top of my head I think the only other recording I have is of Rachmaninoff's Vespers).

King's College Cambridge Choir and the Cambridge Classical Players, Mozart, Vespers. Another way to celebrate Mozart's birthday.

San Francisco Symphony and Chorus, Brahms, Ein Deutsches Requiem. A nice companion to Verdi's Requiem, which I also enjoy listening to.

Gothic Voices, hildegard von Bingen, A Feather on the Breath of God. I do like Hildegard. I own a lot of medieval chant and polyphony; my favorite group is Anonymous 4.

And, lest you think that I only listen to choral music, my last new CD: Evgeny Kissin plays Chopin (The Four Ballades, Berceuse, Barcarolle, and Scherzo #4).

It was lovely to sit at home this afternoon listening to my new music while I worked. It was a bad day to be outside--raw and wet.

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:32:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, the great thing about classical music is you can listen to it while studying. My math teacher used to play his classical music CDs during tests. It was nice except for the track with classical bit they play at weddings...

 
At Tuesday, January 31, 2006 11:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've just been getting into classical music, particularly to use while reading. If you've got an classical piano to recommend, i'm open to suggestions.

 
At Tuesday, February 07, 2006 1:54:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Jessica--I recommend anything by Mozart to accompany work. In my experience, there really is something to the "Mozart Effect" idea. I feel smarter when I'm listening to it...

 
At Tuesday, February 07, 2006 2:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do love Mozart; do you recommend a particular performance? I just got Glenn Gould doing Bach: The Goldberg Variations. It's very nice and great to work to until the outtakes at the end, which are amusing, but very distracting.

On to Mozart then - which is lucky because Mozart and Telemann are almost my entire music library. I just need to find nicer recordings than the ones i've got.

 
At Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:02:00 PM, Blogger Uncle Rameau said...

Digital cable hereabouts has 3 classical channels. My favourite is the baroque programming.

Bach and Rameau and fresh coffee - now that's productivity.

Did you survive the library thing burp intact?

 
At Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:56:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Sluggo--I was gone all weekend so didn't even realize that LibraryThing was down. I haven't bought any books lately so haven't actually had to enter any into the system.

Jessica--I recommend the Deitsche Grammaphone recording, Horowitz plays mozart. It has a piano concerto and a piano sonata and is quitee lovely.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home