28 February 2006

Two Complaints and Some Acquisitions

Complaint #1: Why is it so darn cold? Now that it is the end of February, we should be easing into the mid-40s during the day. The air should start to have that fresh spring smell to it. The Charles should definitely not be iced over. I should be looking forward to the muck of mud season, and within a few weeks I should be seeing daffodils pushing their little heads up. Spring! Instead this morning I awoke to frigid temperatures (it was about 13 here in Cambridge) and I had to bundle myself into a heavy down coat, hat, scarf, hood, and ski gloves in order to comfortably leave the house. I marched like a penguin (although sadly without the dulcet tones of Morgan Freeman narrating my every movement) to the library, a walk during which I was frequently buffeted by 20-mile-an-hour winds. I'm thinking fondly of warmer climes.

Complaint #2: Why is Widener so darn cold? Having reached the refuge of the library, I expected warmth. It is true that it is warmer in than out, but as I type this I realize my fingers are stiff and cold (not to mention dry and scaly) and that my nose is starting to run (as it does when it is cold). There's a fine filigree of frost starting on the interior of my carrel's window. So I ask: would it hurt to turn the heat up a few degrees?

Cold weather and the discomfort of walking in the cold hasn't prevented me from book shopping though. Without further ado, this week's acquisitions:

Francis J. Bremer, John Winthrop: America's Forgotten Founding Father (OUP, 2003)

Gordon S. Wood, The Americanization of Benjamin Franklin (Penguin, 2004).

Both of these books were courtesy of the fabulous remainder table at Harvard Bookstore (that's not the COOP but the independent bookstore right across the street from Widener).

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Next winter you will be "mamooning" every time you hear about a New England nor'easter on The Weather Channel! Mammamoo P.S. We had about two inches of snow on the ground when we awoke this morning. The male cardinal was beautiful, perched on the lilac.

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:25:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

your life sucks

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 4:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually the average high temperature in Boston for the last day of February is 42. Enjoy winter's end game. By the way, a little bird told me that you could have up to 6" on snow on Wednesday night-Thursday. Long range forecast calls for another more significant snow storm around March 8 and then the weather moderates. You'll miss it soon enough!
I bet you can't guess who this is!!

 
At Wednesday, March 01, 2006 12:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right, cold weather is really a bummer. It's 0 Degree Fahrenheit here in Montreal and there are a lot of activities I'd like to do but can't like walking fast without slipping :)

 
At Sunday, March 05, 2006 11:47:00 PM, Blogger Uncle Rameau said...

how's the bremer? used to check his winthrop papers website regularly, until I realized it was rarely updated.

any scuttlebut on when the medical journals of the younger Winthrop will be published?

There is an intriguing reference to "Lovenam the hatter's" child in those journals, from whom I may descend. You keep dredging up things I've been meaning to pursue since forever.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home