12 September 2006

AT&T

I was really disappointed to learn that Verizon does not serve my Houston neighborhood, so I had to go with AT&T for phone service. I paid my bill last week (only two and a half weeks after I got the service originally, which seemed excessive to me). My payment was a day late and I got a nastygram in the mail from AT&T threatening to cut off my service, which I thought was just too much. Would any other company out there actually threaten to cut off service after a payment one day late and after less than one month of service?

Today I got an acknowledgement of receipt of payment:

==============================================================================
An Important Message from AT&T Texas
==============================================================================

Dear Valued Customer,

We recieved your recent payment of $64.11.

This payment has been applied to telephone number (713) xxx-xxxx.

AT&T Texas thanks you for your business and the opportunity to serve you.

Wow. The AT&T customer service is not only inefficient (sending out a nastygram after one day) but it also cannot spell. I plan on sending in my payments a day late from here on out, so that AT&T must waste postage on unnecessary nastygrams, and so I can see how long it takes the company to STOP THE SPELLING ERRORS.

**UPDATE 9/16/06**

The actual check with which I paid my bill cleared my account today, and on the reverse it clearly showed processing on September 7, the day the bill was actually due. So, my payment was not a day late after all, and AT&T wasted lots of money having to field my phone calls and sending me a completely unnecessary demand for payment. Wow. Incompetence carried out to the nth degree, with misspellings.

Next up: Historianess's feud with CenterPoint Energy, which provides the gas for my stove. Also a tale of woe and incompetence.




3 Comments:

At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 11:04:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AT&T is ahead of you on that. They will charge an extra five bucks if you send in your payment late.

The other company notorious for such threats is the Green Mountain Energy. No niceties from them; a two page dry tract along the lines "you live in Houston, we know how hot the place is, better pay up or else!"

 
At Wednesday, September 13, 2006 5:27:00 PM, Blogger Rebecca said...

Yeah, actually AT&T wasn't going to charge me extra until September 19th (which, incidentally, would have been the one-month anniversary of me starting my service, which is when I actually expected to get the first bill).

I'm learning that Texas has very few consumer protections for utility customers. Sometime soon I'll blog about my experiences with the gas company...

But the misspelling just cracks me up!

 
At Friday, September 15, 2006 10:45:00 AM, Blogger elle said...

girl, welcome to hell!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home